Sunday, May 13, 2012

Bustling Bristol


I have never felt as hipster as I did in Bristol. Not even at the Goan carnivals and Gokarna beaches. But, Bristol is the "nice" kind of hip place, if you ask me. Something in the air, I guess.

Voted as the best city to cycle around, the city boasts of a large number of cyclists (many who have done cycle trips across the world!). The cycle paths are refreshing! Do rent a bike whilst you are in Bristol. Oh I dont have to tell you, you'll do it without prompting. Its something in the air, I guess.



The city centre is abuzz with young people. Hip young people, might I add. It hardly comes as a surprise that the city has a lovely, lovely display of graffiti on its walls. Beautiful graffiti. People (oh well, graffiti loving people) come to Bristol to tour it – you might want to stay and nod at the Banksy one. But the rest are so lovely as well :: the lady and the child, light streaming out, the dog, the three headed monster, I love bristol, colour, colour, whacky colour – you get the idea? You want to let your hair down and spray paint out here – Its something in the air, I guess.



 
The pubs in Bristol are sweet. They really are. I visited on a saturday and it was quite busy: but almost every eatery and pub on the main city street had music. People looked artsy, music felt artsy. Bristol has a lot of “bike repair and maintanance classes” (unsurprisingly). There's a lot of folk story telling, open mic and jam sessions, Shakti yoga (Oh yeah) that happens in pockets and places. The day I went visiting, Bristol had the feed 5000 campaign going on – a pioneering, revolutionary movement originally started by Tristram Stuart. (Oh google it up: feeding the 5k! Im a bit to lazy to type it out right now. But on a day when Ive breakfasted well, I'll surely tell you all!). Makes me wonder if India could use some inspiration from here! Bristol felt like it was bursting with new ideas. I even got an idea or two myself. Its something in the air, I guess.

The sky line of bristol beams with light. I saw it from atop a hill, post midnight. My poetic philosophical mood was gently reminded of a growing, bustling, happening city in my vicinity– by the noisy M32 echoing into the night. It was really something in the air, I guess.




No comments:

Post a Comment